PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Failed Snack Attempt

In the attempt at wholesome and healthy foods, there is bound to be failed attempts and this is one.  I have stumbled upon the blog Weelicous that has so many interesting recipes but they definitely are ultra-healthy.  Although I started mommyhood being extra healthy with the girls, I have slipped a bit along the way and my girls' palettes don't always accept my healthy attempts.  I saw the peach fruit leather recipe and thought it looked like a fun project to try while the hubby was traveling.  I had a bunch of nectarines that were getting a bit too ripe so it was perfect.  I was prepared to share with you the process of blending the nectarines (skin and all) and then pouring it to 1/8 inch thickness onto a pan and bake for hours and hours and then a few more hours.   But after all the efforts, the results were not quite what I had hoped.  It was difficult to have consistent drying times, so the edges were too done while the middle wasn't done enough.  I ended up losing about 1/3 of the batch due to this.  I still had hope that the girls would be wowed with the taste but no such luck.  They were tough to chew and not too tasty.  I would wonder if doing a fruit blend would help the taste but I don't think the extreme time it took to make is worth another attempt.  So I think I will be sticking with these for the lunches
I have been eyeing a homemade yogurt recipe next.  Have any of you tried that before?  Is it worth the effort?

No comments:

Post a Comment