PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, August 19, 2011

Mom's Lunchables

Sorry any Lunchable fans out there but I am not one of them.  I can actually say that I have made it 9 years of being a mommy without ever purchasing one and I highly doubt I ever will.  Now don't worry, I have bought plenty of other junk for my kids to make up for it I am sure.  I have a few complaints about Lunchables.  The nutritional content is pretty lousy with no fresh or wholesome ingredients.  Though I did see some add that they have ones with fruit now.  It's about time.  But just as bothersome to me as the lack of nutrition is the amount of waste these create.  I cringe seeing them getting thrown into the garbages at school thinking how much garbage they are creating.  And don't even get me started on the amount of garbage our school district creates with their lunch system.  I could rant all day on that one........ 

But really, the concept of the lunchable is quite brilliant and I am not ashamed to take their idea and make it my own.  The sticking point in making these quickly becomes the packaging.  Last year I found these great Ziploc containers that are close to the perfect solution to making your own Lunchable.  Link to Amazon product HERE although I have seem them for much better prices in local stores.
These Ziploc containers have a larger section and then 2 smaller sections.  Great to put your own meat, cheese, crackers in.  My only "complaint" is I would love the big section divided up into two.  But I take care of that myself by wrapping up the crackers in some leftover cotton fabric from my napkin project (post coming soon).  The fabric just goes in the laundry and then stored in the Lunch Zone for next time.  The wrapped crackers then give separation for some fruits or veggies.  I also find I can usually combine the meat and cheese into one smaller section to leave a section for fruits or other items.  Occasionally I will throw in a small treat since my youngest has pointed out to me that "real" lunchables have candy in them.  Lovely......

Here is a simple Lunchable I packed for our trip to the park the other day.  Carrots, peanut butter celery, simple fruit (replacing my failed nectarine fruit leather), whole wheat Ritz crackers, Hormel's Natural Choice ham, cheese cut into hearts and grapes.  It is fun to add some stickers to the top to add a little fun and personalization. 
Throw a water bottle and ice pack into the lunch box and you are ready to roll for a yummy, healthy and fun lunch.  And it is probably cheaper than a Lunchable too.

1 comment:

  1. i had no idea that these containers existed! love it! love your blog too Lisa! it's great!

    ReplyDelete